You'll need (makes about 12):
- 125g butter
- 125g caster sugar
- 125g self-raising flour
- 2 eggs
- Double cream
- 3 limes
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees and mix the sugar and butter until soft and creamy. Add the zest of one lime and squeeze in a little lime juice.
2. Gradually beat the eggs in until you have a smooth and runny mix and then gradually fold in the flour.
3. Spoon the mix into cupcake cases and place in the oven until golden brown and springy to the touch. Spoon any leftover mixture into your mouth.
4. Whilst you leave the cupcakes to cool, prepare your whipped cream icing. I think they're great without icing too though. I didn't measure out the double cream, but I used around about half a tub of double cream and used an electric whisk to mix it with some sugar, lime zest and a little lime juice until it was firm and y'know... like whipped cream. I sucked at icing my cakes though.
5. Cover the cakes in the cream and sprinkle with a little more lime zest or lime slices to make them look pretty. Hopefully yours will look a little better than mine did.
6. Enjoy your cake (or seven) with a sweet cup of tea or a glass of milkshake. Heaven!